Action Against Hunger-USA is part of the Action Against Hunger International network, which provides humanitarian relief in over 40 countries worldwide in the sectors of nutrition, health, water/sanitation, and food security. Action Against Hunger-USA, an independent NGO, currently manages operations in 7 countries: Ethiopia, Haiti, Kenya, Somalia, South Sudan, Tanzania, Uganda and Action Against Hunger-USA has over $60 million in programs, and approximately 1,600 permanent staff based in New York City, Washington D.C, Nairobi, and country offices. Additional growth is anticipated.
Summary of the Position
As a member of the Action Against Hunger Knowledge and Innovation Hub in the Horn and Eastern Africa Regional Office, the Regional Food Security amp; Livelihoods Manager will provide technical and operational support to the Food Security, Livelihoods, Resilience and Disaster Risk Management. He/She will be part of the broader Food Security amp; Livelihoods (FSL) initiatives at regional levels while ensuring consistent and meaningful representation of the organization in sector specific regional and whenever feasible country level fora.
KEY ACTIVITIES IN YOUR ROLE WILL INCLUDE:
- Provision of technical leadership and support to all countries within Action Against Hunger-USA in program design, planning, development and management.
- Provide regular FSL technical advice for regional and multi-country program implementation.
- Support in the development of FSL strategies and approaches as part of regional strategy.
- Facilitate the identification of innovations and research opportunities together with the country program team and research team.
- Ensure secondary analysis of existing or proposed programs to ensure relevance, impact, viability, sustainability and quality of the action.
- Support and follow-up on budgets and beneficiary count in collaboration with Regional Finance and Mamp;E Specialists respectively
- Ensure documentation, capitalization and dissemination of program experiences, statistics and lessons learned
- Support in the validation of all FSL HoDs job descriptions, recruitment and onboarding processes
- Provide technical supervision and ensure compliance on FSL policies, strategies, position papers, guidelines and manuals
- Support the countries as gap filler in the absence of FSL Head of Department or upon request from the country office.
- Provide leadership in the development of regional FSL proposals and concept notes.
- Articulate FSL position to our network members (ACF Germany, Spain, Canada, UK, Italy andBelgium) and promote regional, multi-country or cross border programming.
- Participate in donors’ meetings interested in supporting multi-country FSL projects.
- Ensure multi-country/regional FSL Projects adherence to the organizational and donor rules, regulations and standards.
- Organize for field visits and support quality FSL project implementation.
- Ensure quality checks and controls, standards and program objectives are achieved within thelifespan of the projects.
- Support countries in the development of assessments tools (Cost of Diet, Household EconomicAnalysis, Market system, Value Chain Analysis, Resilience Analysis etc).
- Participate in country related meetings and ensure coherence, interaction and integration with the technical and strategy frameworks.
- Provide country program support in validating technical FSL parts of donor proposals developed by country teams, ensuring technical applicability, coherence, feasibility,appropriate budgets, etc.
- Provide technical review and validation of FSL projects’ narrative and financial reports.
- Participate on project kick-offs, pre- and post-award meetings
- Prepare FSL materials based on donor priorities to support our country team during donordiscussions
- Master’s degree in food security, Agricultural Education and Extension, Agricultural Economics, Agribusiness Management, Food Policy and Applied food science, socio politics, or related disciplines.
- At least seven years’ experience in food systems, nutrition sensitive agriculture, Livelihoods and Resilience.
- Experience working in humanitarian and development contexts, recovery and rehabilitation as well as with national governments, regional bodies, UN agencies and INGOs.
- Excellent knowledge of technical fields related to Food Security amp; Livelihoods that includes excellent working knowledge of food security, Market systems and nutrition sensitive resilience.
- Sound analytical and technical competence in the subject matter of food security and livelihoods, Climate resilience, food system and Market System Development.
- Field experience in FSL programming, including agro ecology, value chain analysis, income generation, emergency food assistance, COD, HEA, etc.
- Strong analytical and writing skills essential.
- Knowledge and experience in assessment and research methods.
- Strong organizational skills and technical review/writing of detailed technical documents.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, ability to work both independently and as a member of a team
- Excellent written and verbal English communication skills.
- Capacity to represent the organization in various fora.
- Genuine interest in and commitment to the humanitarian principles of Action Against Hunger
Action Against Hunger-USA provides all staff with an attractive salary amp; benefits package. We provide equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees amp; qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, ancestry, sexual orientation, national origin, age, handicap, disability, marital status, or status as a veteran. Action Against Hunger-USA complies with all applicable laws governing nondiscrimination in employment.
Interested? Then apply for this position by clicking on the apply button. All applicants must upload a cover letter and an updated resume and both must be in the same language as this vacancy note. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.